Friday, August 22, 2014

My third day shadowing the surgeon.

I arrived at 12:45 in the afternoon. I had a watch, a pen and a note pad. Short lab coat, comfortable clogs, black pants and a business appropriate top.

I have severe flat feet and so I can not stand or walk for too long. I didn't let that stop me. I followed the physician as he went from one patient to the next (total approx. 30 patients). The majority of the patients I saw had breast issues; typical "mammogram pathology report suggests suspicious  mass that needs further investigation".

The first two days of shadowing consisted of me getting my bearings. I was so nervous. The physician I am shadowing is a professor and he's use to having students that he can barrage, teach and inspire.

I tried to make my presence as "shadow" like as possible, I didn't want to get in his way. When I heard a term I didn't know I wrote it down, I tried to assist patients when I could and ask educated questions.

The operative word is "try", some of my attempts failed. For instance a patient with a cast needed assistance with putting on her bra. So I jumped at the opportunity to help. I asked the patient if she needed further assistance with putting on her shirt. She said no. The physician looked at me like I had three horns on my head.

I say all of this to say: "Take the initiative" ( in many cases you do not have to ask).

Moving forward I will. At least I will "try"... And you should to.

Useful information regarding shadowing: Doctor Shadow , How To Effectively Shadow a Physician as a Premed Student , How Do I... Shadow a Doctor? , Career Junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment